Unable to win the debate on the merits of their arguments, opponents of health care reform have resorted to a dizzying array of outright falsehoods to terrify Americans into opposing a process that might deliver real benefits to their families.All of these serve the same ends: using the politics of distortion and distraction to capitalize on people's natural fear of change and compelling them to fight noisily against their own interests. And it can be somewhat effective -- that's clear from the raw, populist anger unleashed into the health-care debate in recent weeks by well-heeled corporate-lobbyists bent on derailing the democratic process.So let's get past the fearmongering and look at some of the highlights of what's really in the more progressive legislation working its way through Congress.
1: The First Thing That Will Happen Is Absolutely Nothing
2. New Protections for Consumers
3. Medical Bankruptcies Would Plummet
4. People Who Could Never Get Decent Coverage Will Finally Be Able To
5. (Almost) Everyone Gets Covered
6. Those Who Can't Afford the Premiums Will Get Help Paying7. No Free Lunch for Businesses
8. More Low-Income Workers Eligible for Medicaid
9. Some Things Will Change, but You'll Never Notice10. Over Time, the System Will Become Healthier
Sunday, August 16, 2009
Put the Fearmongering Scare Tactics Aside
Let's look at reality for a moment. Joshua Holland has an interesting article on 10 Awesome Things That Would Happen If Health Reform Passes.
"Forget the fearmongering scare tactics of the right, here's how your life will actually be better." The following is a snippet from the complete article that can be seen here.
Sounds good to me!