Fox News has been aggressively promoting the anti-tax protests.
Specifically, Fox News has in dozens of instances provided attendance and organizing information for future protests, such as protest dates, locations and website URLs. Fox News websites have also posted information and publicity material for protests. Fox News hosts have repeatedly encouraged viewers to join them at several April 15 protests that they are attending and covering.
Fox News, "Fair and Balanced"...NOT:
Other organizations have shown their support.
Some on the left are dismayed at Fox News for its unabashed support of the "tea party" protest movement, wherein citizens protest the government's use of taxpayer money in its response to the economic crisis--primarily in the TARP bailout, and also the $787 economic stimulus package.
Frustration culminated this week with Glenn Beck, who promoted the tea parties on his show Monday, encouraging viewers to "celebrate with Fox News" and join the protests April 15. Some of Fox's more popular personalities--Greta Van Susteren, Neil Cavuto, Sean Hannity, and Beck himself--will broadcast live from tea parties in DC, Sacramento, San Antonio, and Atlanta on tax day.
Fox News isn’t the only right-wing organization involved in building up these so-called “grassroots” events. The tea parties have been heavily backed by corporate lobbyists. The principle organizers of many of the local events are actually the lobbyist-run think tanks Americans for Prosperity, Freedom Works, and Newt Gingrich’s American Solutions. The groups are heavily staffed and well funded, and are providing all the logistical and public relations work necessary for planning coast-to-coast protests.
Gun rights militias, secessionists, and neo-Nazi groups are currently working to contribute to the organizing effort.
Congressional Republicans have enthusiastically embraced the movement, with Sen. David Vitter (R-LA) sponsoring a bill to honor the protests. So far, at least 12 Republican lawmakers and governors have signed on to speak at local events:
– Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-UT) and Rep. Rob Bishop (R-UT) will be speaking at the Salt Lake City protest.
– Rep. Todd Tiahrt (R-KS) and a representative from Rep. Sam Graves’ (R-MO) office will be speaking at the Overland Park protest.
– Rep. John Fleming (R-LA) will be speaking at the Shreveport protest.
– Rep. Ander Crenshaw (R-FL) will be speaking at the Jacksonville protest.
– Rep. Bob Latta (R-OH) will be speaking at the Wauseon protest.
– Rep. John Shadegg (R-AZ) and former Rep. J.D. Hayworth (R-AZ) will be speaking at the Phoenix protest.
– Rep. Sue Myrick (R-NC) will be speaking at the Charlotte protest.
– Rep. Bill Posey (R-FL) will be speaking at the Brevard protest.
– Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX) will be speaking at the Longview protest.
– Gov. Mark Sanford (R-SC) will be speaking at the protest in Columbia.
In addition, Rep. Denny Rehberg (R-MT), Rep. Jack Kingston (R-GA), and Rep. Tom Rooney (R-FL) have been urging their constituents to attend tea party protests.
Think Progress has put together a video illustrating Fox News’s active role in promoting the “FNC Tax Day Tea Parties.” Watch it: